Newcomers to the hobby of creating reborn dolls may be surprised at just how difficult and time-consuming the process it. From start to finish, it takes a skilled and experienced reborn artist over 40 hours to make one, myself included. Given the fact that beginners don't have this kind of experience, you can expect it to take much longer your first few times, and chances are it still won't come out looking the way you want. An easier method that allows beginners to create their very reborn dolls is to use what's known as a reborn doll kit. While there are many different types of kits on the market, most of them contain everything you need to make your own reborn doll. If you're interested in using one, keep reading and we'll take a closer look at the pros and cons of using reborn doll kits.
Should I Use a Reborn Kit?
Before we start, it's important to note that reborn doll kits are generally tailored towards inexperienced beginners who want to create reborn dolls. If you're already familiar with the reborning process and can make them without much difficult, you'll probably want to skip these kits. While they are fairly easy to use, they typically limit your overall freedom. For instance, you'll be forced to use the weighing pellets, paint, eyes and other items the kit comes with.
So, is a reborn kit the right choice for you? There's no easy answer to this question, as it depends on your level of experience and what you plan to accomplish with your reborn. Those who are looking to make a basic reborn in the easiest and quickest manner possible should use one, but those who want to spend extra time personalizing their reborn to make it look unique will probably want to start from scratch.
Pros of Reborn Doll Kits:
- Costs less than building a reborn doll from scratch. Depending on the kit you're using, it should run you anywhere between $100-$300, which is much cheaper than high-quality reborns build piece-by-piece.
- Easy enough to use so that anyone can build their own reborn doll with no past experience. As long as you follow the directions step-by-step, you should have no problem creating a realistic reborn doll from a quality kit.
- Kits include everything you need to build a reborn. There's no need to go around to multiple stores and shops in search of hard-to-find eyes or other doll pieces.
- Building a reborn using a kit is the fastest method possible. One of the gripes many new artists have is the length of time it takes to make a reborn. Thankfully, using a kit to make a reborn only takes a fraction of the time it would normally take.
- Reborn kits make perfect gifts for those interested in dolls or doll making.
- Reborn doll kits have come a long ways over the years, improving in both quality and realism.
Cons of Reborn Doll Kits:
- Although some of the reborn doll kits on the market can be used to make high-quality reborns, they don't give you the same level of detail and realism that making them from scratch produces. If you're serious about reborning and want to make a name for yourself, it's recommended that you avoid using generic kits.
- Certain reborn doll kits may lack necessary items like the actual vinyl doll body. Before purchasing a kit, check to make sure it contains everything you need to complete a doll; otherwise, you could be left trying to find extra pieces to finish your doll.
- Building a doll from a kit generally means other amateur artists and hobbyists will have the same type of doll. There are very few, if any, unique reborn doll kits available.
Reborn Doll Kit Buying Tips
It's easy to feel overwhelmed looking at the sheer number of reborn doll kits for sale. Some of them are basic and only include paint, eyes and weight pellets, while others include everything you need and more. Take a minute to carefully read the description of any kit you're thinking of purchasing to see what exactly is comes with. After all, the entire purpose of using a kit is to make it easier on you, so you probably don't want to purchase additional items that aren't included. Also, it's recommended that you look for a kit with an instructional DVD if this is your first time. Some of the more popular kits come with helpful instructional DVDs and guides that make putting your first reborn doll together a breeze. Just pop the disc in your DVD player and you can work on making your first reborn doll with video instructions right in front of you.
When shopping for a reborn doll kit, you should always check to see who the artist is. It should go without saying that kits by more reputable artists typically result in better-looking reborns. Instead of rolling the dice in hopes that you get a solid kit with everything you need, you can rest assured knowing that a skilled and experienced artist put it together. If you're unsure on whether or not a kit is considered "quality," check some of the feedback comments from previous buyers. This is a great way to get an non-biased opinion on how well the kit performs.
Hopefully after reading this article you'll have a better idea of whether or not a reborn doll kit is right for you. In short, it's a quick and easy way to make a reborn but doesn't give you the full freedom of piecing it together from scratch. If you haven't done so already, you should use a reborn doll kit at least one time to see if you enjoy it. As previously stated, it's far easier and takes less time than reborning a doll from the ground up. As long as you use a quality kit and follow the instructions, you can come away with some amazing reborn dolls that look incredibly real.